Re: Cygwin 1.7 & mintty error - cannot run mintty more than once at a time

2009/9/30 David Antliff:
>> From http://cygwin.com/problems.html: "Run 'cygcheck -s -v -r
>>>cygcheck.out' and include that file as an attachment in your report.
>
> Done, although I've manually stripped out some company-specific info
> I'd rather not publish on the Internet.

Good idea.

>> Also, which version of mintty are you using, and how exactly are you
>> invoking it? And are you running 1.5 at the same time?
>
> According to the 'About' dialog, I am using 0.4.4, which came with
> yesterday's Cygwin-1.7 fresh install.
>
> I'm invoking it from cygwin.bat like this (instead of bash --login -i):
> cygstart mintty --size=88,30 -
>
> However I get the same problem if I simply run
> c:\cygwin-1.7\bin\mintty.exe from a Windows cmd.exe prompt, when one
> instance is already running.
>
> Yes, I am running various 1.5 processes (including mintty) at the same
> time. I can try shutting down all 1.5 minttys if you like.

Yes, I think that's worth trying. 1.5 and 1.7 should be able to run
side-by-side, and it works for me, but who knows. Even better if you
were able to shut down all Cygwin processes, or reboot.

>  85  166760 [main] mintty 4336 fhandler_pipe::create_selectable:
CreateNamedPipe: name \\.\pipe\cygwin-tty1-to-master, size 131072
> 242  167002 [main] mintty 4336 fhandler_pipe::create_selectable: pipe busy

The is a call to CreateNamedPipe in Cygwin's pty emulation failing
with "ERROR_PIPE_BUSY". Helpfully, CreateNamedPipe's MSDN page makes
no mention of it, but the code in pipe.cc has this:

	case ERROR_PIPE_BUSY:
	  /* The pipe is already open with compatible parameters.
	     Pick a new name and retry.  */
	  debug_printf ("pipe busy", name ? ", retrying" : "");
	  break;

In this case we don't retry because the name is fixed to
"\\.\pipe\cygwin-tty1-to-master".

This article suggests a call to WaitNamedPipe in case of
ERROR_PIPE_BUSY:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365592%28VS.85%29.aspx. I've
got no idea whether that would help here.

cgf?

Andy