Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] [1.7] Updated: cygwin-1.7.0-62

Apart from bugfixes, this patch contains a change to the
internationalization efforts in Cygwin which cristalized out of a couple
of longish discussions on the cygwin and cygwin-developer lists.

Here's how it's supposed to work in future:
[...]
- The "C" locale's default charset is UTF-8.

Does this mean that non-ASCII characters are supposed to display OOTB, or is some user configuration expected? Here's a test case.

I've tried to view the attached file (extracted from the output of fc-list) in various ways, and here's what I've found (running XP in the U.S., with no language-related customization):

- Using emacs under X, emacs recognizes the file as UTF-8 and displays the foreign characters correctly.

- 'cat temp.txt' in the cygwin console produces lots of question marks.

- 'cat temp.txt' in xterm or mintty produces lots of garbage. The garbage changes in mintty if I change the choice of codepage in the options, but I haven't been able to get rid of the garbage.

- If I set LANG=C.UTF-8 before starting xterm, I get correct display of the foreign characters as in emacs (under X). But this doesn't seem to work for the cygwin console or mintty (or at least I haven't figured out how to make it work).

Ken

P.S. This post is related to the discussion started in
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2009-10/msg00062.html. But I'm approaching the question as a user, so I didn't think I should reply there. (I'm not subscribed anyway.)

obyÄ?ejné Î?ανονικά Normál Ð?бÑ?Ñ?нÑ?й Normálne