Re: wise way to install cygwin packages

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 12:49 AM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> On 10/08/2009 12:25 AM, Ken Jackson wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 20:41:53 +0800
>> Steven Woody wrote:
>>>
>>> 3. So, after I do some other clicks to really deselect the PB, I have
>>> to go back to deselect PA again!

>>> This make the operation very very hard to perform.
>>
>> I agree. ÂAnd even for simple operations I find it a bother to have to
>> start up a gui to install a package or check for updates.
>>
>> It would be great to have a command-line package management tool. For
>> example, if yum were ported to Cygwin, for the case you cite, you could
>> do this:
>>
>> $ yum remove PA PB
>>
>> I would love to make a contribution like porting yum. Â(But don't wait
>> for me.)
>
> I believe the current answer to both of these needs is the setup program
> for the upcoming Cygwin 1.7 release <http://cygwin.com/setup-1.7.exe>.
> 'setup-1.7.exe -h' shows you the command line options and has a convenient
> '-P' switch to allow you to specify the packages you want to install.
> ÂSorry, no
> "All" or "All minus foo, bar". ÂThe setup program for Cygwin 1.5 also has
> some
> command line options (though they print to "setup.log") but the "-P" is
> missing.
>
> --
> Larry Hall               Âhttp://www.rfk.com
> RFK Partners, Inc. Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â(508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
> 216 Dalton Rd. Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â(508) 893-9889 - FAX
> Holliston, MA 01746

> A: Yes.
>> Q: Are you sure?
>>> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.

I remember on 1.5 in order to remove packages that had depencies on
each other I had to remove one side and ignore any warnings that the
installer spit out.  Afterwards I had to go back and re-run setup this
time removing the remaining ones.  I also had to go and bring up the
partial list to tell it to skip the previously removed packages and
ignore the warnings.  Keep doing this until your packages are removed
and no more warnings appear.

Robert Pendell
shinji@elite-systems.org

"A perfect world is one of chaos."