Re: Rsync link-dest not working for a host with the most recent rsync/cygwin 1.7

On Oct 16 13:51, Chris Francy wrote:
> It appears something about the about rsync or the 1.7 version of
> cygwin is preventing the --link-destination function of rsync from
> working.  Files that have not been changed at all should be linked
> together.  On the hosts still running a cygwin 1.5 version of rsync
> the link-destination seems to work exactly as I expect it to.
>
> I am using dirvish (http://www.dirvish.org/) on a Linux box (deb
> 5.0.3) to backup some of the data on windows boxes in the network.  I
> have the cygwin+rsync setup in daemon mode on the servers.  I recently
> upgraded a couple of the boxes to the latest cygwin 1.7.  On the
> systems with cygwin 1.5 files are occasionally missed because of the
> path length limitations so I really want to get a cygwin 1.7 setup
> working.
>
> This is the command that is being issued by dirvish to perform the backup.
>
> rsync -vrltH --delete -pgo --stats -z -D --numeric-ids --timeout=300
> --exclude-from=/srv/dirvish/srv-01/2009101610/exclude
> --link-dest=/srv/dirvish/srv-01/2009101420/tree 10.2.35.241::data/
> /srv/dirvish/srv-01/2009101610/tree

I'm not fluent with the --link-dest option.  I'm also missing a hint
what is wrong.  Are you expecting hardlinks and get copies of the files?

If I want to reproduce this locally, I need a testcase which allows
to reproduce this with just a single file which gets rsynced locally,
ideally using only simple, relative paths.
I'd like to know what the expected result is and what the actual result
is under Cygwin.

Corinna

Red Hat