Re: Rsync link-dest not working for a host with the most recent rsync/cygwin 1.7

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 10:12 PM, Steven Monai <smonaica@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Chris Francy wrote:
>
> I'm in a situation somewhat similar to yours. Up to now I have been
> using the current stable Cygwin (v1.5) to test rsync as a possible
> backup solution. I have a home-baked rsync/--link-dest script that
> limitations, but it would really suck if the --link-dest magic stopped
> working in v1.7.

I have learned that if I don't copy the permissions/ownership
information then the link-dest works fine.  I only used those options
in the past because older versions of rsync would not do link-dest
unless you copied ownership/permissions.

> Probably a dumb question, but: Are you 100% certain that
> 2009101420/tree/ and 2009101610/tree/ are on the same filesystem?

Yup, 100% certain.

> Could you post the contents of your rsync daemon's rsyncd.conf ? Are you
> using identical rsyncd.conf files in your 1.5 and 1.7 installations?

Yup, i am sure they are identical, and the config is very simple.

--- rsyncd.conf
use chroot = false
strict modes = false
hosts allow = 10.x.x.x
log file = rsyncd.log
pid file = rsyncd.pid

[data]
path = /cygdrive/d
read only = true
transfer logging = no
---

> Is --link-dest failing completely (i.e. no hardlinks created at all), or
> only partially (i.e. some unchanged files are hardlinked, while some are
> merely copied)? What version of rsync is running on the Debian box?

Absolutely nothing was getting linked together.

root@linuxhost:$ rsync --version
rsync  version 3.0.3  protocol version 30
Copyright (C) 1996-2008 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
Web site: http://rsync.samba.org/
Capabilities:
    64-bit files, 64-bit inums, 32-bit timestamps, 64-bit long ints,
    socketpairs, hardlinks, symlinks, IPv6, batchfiles, inplace,
    append, ACLs, xattrs, iconv, symtimes

Thanks,
Chris