Re: gawk Has Problem With CRLF in Mixed Binary/Text Files

Paul McFerrin wrote:
I don't have an answer to your specific problem. But as a side issue, I see that your PATH is very long. You might consider using a lot of hard links say in a directory /lbin with a buch of hard links to the real executables in other directories. You can then shorten PATH and remove those duplicate directories. Just be sure that /bin:/lbin is in PATH. The hard links would have to be recreated if you perform any upgrades to some things.

Hard links works outside of cygwin since they are implemented at the MS filesystem level. Cygwin symbolic links are different from MS symbolic links. Choose wisely. Reminder: hard links can't cross FS boundaries

***snip***

Paul:

I didn't make that path; our IT department and Cygwin setup did. I never have figured out why I get duplicates of everything; perhaps it's due to some weird interaction between my mounts and our Corporate 'client' (it lives down in the kernel, I've heard). And I love the way the path with double-quotes around it doesn't get handled right (I almost alway use Cygwin ZIP, not PKZipW); paths in double-quotes with embedded spaces have been mis-handled that way for a long time. I used to have a gawk script that took care of that, but I haven't bothered with in for years now.

In any case, until I get all my machines at work moved over to 1.7 from 1.5, things like that will have to wait. What with layoffs and all, help is rather scarce, and there's lots of other stuff to do. :-/

Thx, Phil Long