Looking for some help setting up Cygwin 1.7

Today in following up some helpful suggestions by members of this mailing list I ran into some additional setup issues.

For instance, right now, when I open a bash window, I find an environment where $HOME is set to
/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/lvirden

However, if I take a look at ~lvirden, I see that is mapped to /home/lwv27 - which doesn't exist.

Is there a service or something that maps "/home" to the $HOME settings? In fact, I think I'd rather $HOME be set to /home/whatever , to eliminate those embedded spaces.

Also, when I run
cygrunsrv -Q cron
I see a message saying that no such service is running. When I try to run
cygrunsrv --start cron

I get an error saying that the specified service does not exist as an installed service. I know the admin setting this up for me on my XP desktop ran the setup.exe command to install the package containing cron. Perhaps there is some other step I need to let him know about that has to be done after the install? Is there some place I can point him to help him get things setup?

Thank you so much for all your help.

--
Tcl - It's the real thing. http://wiki.tcl.tk/
http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/ http://www.xanga.com/lvirden/