Re: Shall dlopen("foo") succeeed if only "foo.dll" exists?

Weird question, right?

Here's the problem.

Assume you have a file "foo.so" on Linux. If you call

dlopen ("./foo.so", RTLD_LAZY);

it succeeds, but

dlopen ("./foo", RTLD_LAZY);

fails because the dlopen function never adds any suffixes like .so
automatically.

Now assume you have a "foo.dll" file on Cygwin.

dlopen ("./foo.dll", RTLD_LAZY);

succeeds, but so does

dlopen ("./foo", RTLD_LAZY);

The reason is that Cygwin checks for the .dll suffix as well as the
Windows LoadLibrary function does.

For 1.7 our choice is to keep dlopen() checking for the .dll suffix to
be more Windows-like, or to be more Linux-like by dropping the check for
the .dll suffix so that dlopen() fails if the filename isn't specified
fully.

OK, I'll admit I'm responding with a question without actually looking at the
code and so one can feel free to ignore me. However the thought that came
to my mind is, should it really matter if dlopen() checks? What does the check
give us that just passing the name along to LoadLibrary() doesn't? At first
impression, doing the check just prematurely rejects names without the DLL suffix
that would otherwise be accepted by Windows. Since there's a source level change
that (typically) needs to happen to make the code work on Windows as opposed
to Linux/Unix, what benefit are we getting from this added check?

Holliston, MA 01746