Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] [1.7] Updated: cygwin-1.7.0-67

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Ken Brown wrote:

>> I guess a side question here is if TMP does not exist then should it
>> be defaulting to the system wide TEMP variable, the one defined in
>> .bashrc for the user or should it even be created at all? ÂI posted an
>> strace and it shows TEMP set to /tmp but patch still uses TMP instead
>> and since TMP doesn't exist it looks like cygwin sets TMP to the
>> system wide one by default.
>
> Are you sure TMP doesn't exist? ÂOn my system TMP is set in the Windows
> environment. ÂCygwin just takes that variable and converts the filename to
> Unix format. ÂSo unless you unset TMP somewhere in your startup files, TMP
> will exist (at least in XP; I don't have experience with other systems).
>
>> P.S. - On linux (when I tested) TEMP, TMP, and TMPDIR were not set and
>> patch defaulted to /tmp.
>
> That's precisely why I suggested unsetting TEMP and TMP in /etc/profile.
> ÂThen things should work as in linux.
>
> Ken

Wow... It is there.  Wonder where it came from. >.<  Looks like it is
standard too as I just checked a Windows XP box and that had it too.
I am so embarrassed now with that mix-up.

Robert Pendell
shinji@elite-systems.org
CAcert Assurer
"A perfect world is one of chaos."