Re: Unset TMP/TEMP in profile? (was Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] [1.7] Updated: cygwin-1.7.0-67)

On Tue, December 1, 2009 9:15 am, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Nov 30 20:53, Robert Pendell wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 6:37 PM, Angelo Graziosi
>> <angelo.graziosi@alice.it> wrote:

>> and
>> >
>> > I noticed that too...

>> /etc/profile.
>> >
>> > Indeed. But a question emerges: what does it happen if one starts a
>> Windows
>> > application, which needs TEMP or TMP, from Cygwin?
>> >
>> > For example, GSview (*) can view ps.bz2 or pdf.bz2 files uncompressing
>> them
>> > into $TEMP, so it fails if TEMP is not defined, and
>> >
>> > $ gsview foo.pdf.bz2
>> >
>> > is broken!
>> >
>> > This is only an example of problems which can emerge unsetting TEMP.
>> >
>> > Ciao,
>> > Angelo.
>> >

>> Actually I had thought about that and I found that if you
>> intentionally unset all the variables it defaults back to the system
>> defined one which is dependent on the current user in Windows.
>> Basically what TEMP and TMP is defined to in Windows itself.  This is
>> like the behavior in Linux.
>
> I'm wondering if /etc/profile is actually the right place for unsetting
> TMP and TEMP.  What about etc/defaults/etc/skel/.bashrc instead?  It
> allows every user simple access to the setting of TMP and TEMP and it
> could be seasoned with a user-visible comment.

Unsetting them in the skel .bashrc files shouldn't be a problem to do, but
on my system...

$ echo $TMP
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/morrijr/LOCALS~1/Temp

Tue Dec 01 10:40 AM
$ unset TMP

Tue Dec 01 10:40 AM
$ echo $TMP

Tue Dec 01 10:40 AM
$

They don't get 'reset' to the windows default... but then, I've not really
been following this thread.  Is that what's wanted?

Also, $PATCH and $TMPDIR weren't defined on my system anyway...

J.