Re: Unset TMP/TEMP in profile? (was Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] [1.7] Updated: cygwin-1.7.0-67)

On Dec  1 08:12, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 12/1/2009 5:44 AM, John Morrison wrote:
> >They don't get 'reset' to the windows default... but then, I've not really
> >been following this thread.  Is that what's wanted?
>
> No, they're not expected to get reset.
>
> >Also, $PATCH and $TMPDIR weren't defined on my system anyway...
>
> The discussion about "patch" referred to the program /usr/bin/patch,
> not to an environment variable.
>
> TMPDIR is apparently not defined by default in the Windows
> environment, so it will usually be undefined unless the user has
> defined it.  I think it should therefore be left alone.
>
> The proposal, then, is simply to unset TMP and TEMP in the skel
> .bashrc file.  There should be some sort of comment for the sake of
> users who want those variables to be set for whatever reason.
> Here's one possibility, but it may be a little too verbose:
>
> # TMP and TEMP are defined in the Windows environment.  Leaving
> # them set to the default Windows temporary directory can have
> # unexpected consequences.
> unset TMP
> unset TEMP
>
> # Alternatively, set them to the Cygwin temporary directory
> # export TMP=/tmp
> # export TEMP=/tmp
>
> # Or use TMPDIR instead
> # export TMPDIR=/tmp

Thanks Ken, that looks good and it isn't too verbose.  I would even
go a tiny step further and add that you can use any other temporary
directory:

  [...]
  # Alternatively, set them to the Cygwin temporary directory
  # or to any other tmp directory of your choice
  # export TMP=/tmp
  # export TEMP=/tmp

Corinna

Red Hat