gcc: installation problem, cannot exec 'collect2.exe': Resource temporarily unavailable

With one particular compilation, I'm getting this error.  From reading around,
I'm pretty sure that it's due to an excessively long command string, as
there's a lot of include paths being added to the gcc command with the -I
option.  However, I had fixed this problem previously on an older computer
somehow, but I've lost the website where I found the solution.  It was
something to do with a flag that is set when compiling gcc so that it would
ignore the error, I think.  It's not due to my computer being low on memory or
resources or anything like that.  I can't modify the makefile as this is another
department's program and I know it was fixable by changing the tools
somehow.  If anyone could point me to any suggestion along these lines I'd
appreciate it.

Jonathan