Cygwin 1.7 - backquoting, carriage returns and the removal of binmode

Hi,

I have been having issues with backquoting DOS (text mode) programs in
Cygwin 1.7. For example, for the following command:

echo `example-prog` aaa

I would expect output to be:

hello world aaa

However, the carriage return is being including in the output, resulting in:

aaalo world

This issue has been raised before in the mailing lists, with the
solution being to set the CYGWIN environment variable to include
"nobinmode". This option has been removed in 1.7. I have tried
overriding the root mount (plus /usr/bin and /usr/lib) to be in text
mode with no change. What is the 1.7 equivalent workaround for this
issue? I would rather not litter my scripts with " | tr -d '\r'".

Cheers,

Ryan Dortmans