rsync no longer preserves extended ASCII characters after 1.7 upgrade

I'm running cygwin on a WinXP system with an NTFS-formatted drive. I have a script that regularly backs up using rsync onto a Linux system (Debian) with an ext3 drive.

Before the recent major upgrade, all extended ASCII characters were preserved perfectly without any special rsync switches. E.g., é stayed as é (assuming that character will survive this mailing list post -- accented e).

Now, all accented characters appear as ? on the target linux system.

I've tried various --iconv settings and none of them seem to work -- all I get is more or fewer ?'s in place of the accented characters. In particular, I've tried

--iconv=iso8859-1,utf-8
--iconv=iso8859-2,utf-8
--iconv=utf-8,utf-8

as well as no iconv setting at all. Also tried playing with LC_ALL but no better luck.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Is this an rsync issue or a cygwin issue? I understand cygwin 1.7 now supports UTF-8 by default so in theory I should have fewer problems, not more. But I can't figure out how to get the new rsync to preserve these characters across filesystems.

TIA.