Re: No go after update to 1.7.1

Bernd Bartmann wrote:

> procmon to monitor what bash is actually doing. As it seems it stops
> because it can't find /etc/passwd and /etc/fstab which indeed are
> missing. Shouldn't they have been created during the setup process?
> Also, /etc does not contain any files just some sub-directories:

- Last week I installed (using setup.exe) Cygwin 1.7.1, and none of
  the problems that you describe above appear.

- This lead me to think that you have not configured "setup.exe" correctly.
  Either you choose a mirror site that do not contain all Cygwin element, or
  you have not selected the packages correctly.

- When I have installed Cygwin 1.7.1, I have done the following things:

	- Renamed the old Cygwin (1.5.x) directory "C:\cygwin" as
	  "C:\cygwin_old".  Just be able to recover by personnal
	  data, later.

	- Downloaded the latest version Cygwin "setup.exe" in a
	  newly created temporary directory.

	- Launched "setup.exe", and configure it something like:
		- Selected "ftp://mirrors.kernel.org"; as the mirror site.
		  Note: Some mirrors sites seems to do not have all necessary
		  Cygwin packages to make a good installation!?  But the
		  one mentionned above is a good choice.

		- Selected all the packages, by choosing "install" on "all"
		  in "Category" field.
		  Note: As stated in
		  "http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/index.html";, this make a
		  huge installation.  But, everything is there!

Hope it will help.