Re: 1.7.1: Does 'chere' work with Vista 64b? Can't tell by me.

Lee D. Rothstein wrote:
>  > It's been a while since I've had to look at chere. Bottom line - there
>  > haven't been any previous reports of failures on Vista 64 bit (and I
>  > don't have a 64-bit system available to me).
>
> How many of these?:
>
>   * Vista, 64 bit
>   * Root not at c:\Cygwin
>   * Mintty is terminal
>   * Bash is shell
>   * Not in any way using 'Cygin.bat' as the "invoker"

Err, none? :)

There might be problems, but this is the first report I've seen.

>  > Can you provide the output of `chere -r`, and the chere command you've
>  > run most recently. That'll allow me to diagnose what it's tried to do.
>
> Attached!
>
> Since, I had uninstalled 'chere', I reinstalled it, Bash run as
> Administrator:
>
> $ chere -i -a -n -e "Mintty Bash" -t mintty -o \
>   "--icon=c:\_0\cygicons-hippo-vista-0.dll,10 -"

So chere has managed to set the keys, and read them back fine. What
happens when you run the following command in cmd (all one line)?

C:\_0\bin\mintty.exe --icon=c:\_0\cygicons-hippo-vista-0.dll,10 - -e
/bin/xhere /bin/bash.exe "c:\Program Files"

>  > Also, do you know where the " Shell defaulting to bash defined for lr"
>  > is coming from?
>
> The '-' at the end of the argument to '-o' tells 'mintty' to use
> the login shell. which for 'lr' is 'bash'. Since you seem to be
> implying that the quote is not coming from 'chere', I infer that
> somehow it's coming from 'mintty'? Perhaps, 'bash'?

No, that's me forgetting about a chere feature. If you don't specify a
shell it looks in passwd.

> Note that once again, the Windows menu item comes up:
> "cygwin_bash".
>
> If you're out of ideas, might you give me some clues to look for
> bad keys in the registry?

Check HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Shell\cygwin_bash. It's value should
be the context menu item text, "Mintty Bash"

It should have one subkey, command, whose value is the command to run
"c:\_0\bin\mintty ...".

I'm at a loss - googling indicates the keys should work on Vista. In
particular the following page has comments listing the keys we use.
<http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-command-prompt-here-in-windows-vista/>
Do any of the other suggestions in the comments bring up the command
prompt for you?

Dave.