$DISPLAY variable empty after SSHing

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Tue Aug 4 04:27:00 GMT 2009

mcoughlin wrote:
> Well it is good to know that it is doable.
>
> My computer is running Windows Vista, the middle computer runs Red Hat
> 3, and the work computer runs Red Hat 4.
>
>>> ssh -X computer #2
>>>
>>> Warning: untrusted X11 forwarding setup failed: xauth key data not
>>> generated
>>> Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11
>>> forwarding.
These warnings are significant. Why don't you resolve them first then
see if the problem persists.

Note I have not totally figured out what causes this and what the proper
solution is. It does involve using xauth and adding the proper auth key.
My internet research on this has yielded hazy results. I also noticed
that this tends to happen when you are not yourself. By that I mean that
I've seen this happen when I su as somebody else then do an ssh to
another machine. IOW somethings screwy in the authentication of the user
thuse ssh/X considers it unsafe and perhaps is not passing along the
proper DISPLAY because of this.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to phish and