Re: Possible BSOD from getcwd on WinXP SP3

Henson, George A CTR USA MEDCOM JMLFDC <George.Henson <at> amedd.army.mil>
writes:

> Hello,
>
> Building tar seems to trigger a Blue Screen Of Death on WinXP.

Rather, it is triggering a bug in your ntfs.sys driver.  Cygwin is a user app,
and as such, cannot cause a BSOD.  Only drivers can do that.

> The only information I have been able to get out of the Windows crash
> dumps is the fault happens somewhere in the ntfs.sys driver.

via:

./configure gl_cv_func_getcwd_path_max=yes

to prime the cache and skip that check (I do that anyways on my XP machine, in
my /usr/local/share/config.site file, not because my driver is buggy, but
because Microsoft has acknowledged that XP has quadratic handling of long path
names, and that Vista or newer have linear handling; the quadratic handling
makes the test spin for minutes at 100% CPU utilization, attributable to system
call churn rather than application action).  Also, that check is repeated among
tar, coreutils, findutils, and a few other GNU packages.

And for the record, I've also noticed that sysinternal's procexp can crash the
system when trying to examine the run of that particular conftest.exe with very
deep hierarchies.

--
Eric Blake
volunteer cygwin tar maintainer