correct way to start X server in 1.7

Hi,

I'm just a jerk user so be gentle with me. I've looked at the user guide and searched the mailing list but I may have missed something. I don't know what information is relevant so this is long. Sorry.

I've been running some version of Cygwin 1.5 for many months now. I would always just double-click on the "XWin Server" icon and then export the display variable and ssh into what is currently an F11 box. Typically I then only run thunderbird, emacs, firefox and oowriter. This all worked pretty well.

However I wanted to upgrade to 1.7.x. I didn't want to get rid of my 1.5.x installation until I knew the 1.7.x install was working correctly so I stupidly didn't rename my old desktop shortcuts for 1.5.x. To upgrade to 1.7.x I did an "All" install to make sure I didn't miss anything even though I almost always just use ssh and only rarely emacs and otherwise nothing else. At the end of the install I was asked if I wanted desktop shortcuts and items added to the start menu. I said yes but it seems that because there was already a "Cygwin Bash Shell" in the "All Programs" menu and a "Cygwin" and "Cygwin Bash Shell" shortcut on the desktop both of which point to C:\cygwin\Cygwin.bat neither the "All Programs" menu nor the two desktop icons were updated.

Therefore I created a shortcut to C:\cygwin-1.7\Cygwin.bat. But if I run that or select rxvt-x from All Programs > Cygwin I get the usual "cannot open display" message like the X server isn't running. If I navigate to C:\cygwin-1.7\bin\startxwin.exe and then do either thing I can open X Windows apps on the remote F11 machine but I think this is the wrong way to do that because the X server apparently froze later after some use.

So, can someone tell me the proper way to get the X server running or (assuming I rename desktop shortcuts, etc.) how to re-run the script to set shortcuts, etc. up correctly? BTW, I run Cygwin on a XP Professional Edition machine with auto-updates turned on.

Cheers,
Mike