Directory named "." created at /: seems to have happened during update

>> On Windows XP I can't reproduce it either. Hmm.

Windows XP SP3 is what I'm using.

>> Are you sure the directory name is really "."?

Yes. I tried various mechanisms for testing this such as

dir ". "
rename ". " "mydir"

etc all to no avail. And also I see the / after the listing:

ls -al /m
total 16
drwxr-xr-x  14 fergus ver_1.5    0 Jan  1  1970 ./
drwxr-xr-x  14 fergus ver_1.5    0 Jan  1  1970 ./
drwxr-xr-x  15 fergus ver_1.5    0 Jan  1  1970 ../
<etc etc>

The following is just a stream of findings.

1. From within the host Cygwin [1.7] the command "ls -al /" shows only one instance of ".". From Linux or from an independent Cygwin [1.5] the command "ls -al /m" shows the output above: two instances.

2. The command dir from within a DOS command shows zero "."s and zero ".."s! (Conventionally it would show one of each.) I kind of noticed this change in behaviour without thinking about it, at all, after I re-configured the architecture of my machine from within Linux, using QTPartEd to re-size all partitions. All 4 FAT32 logical partitions within an extended partition on the same machine now fail to show either "." or ".." after dir. This is so, irrespective of whether the FAT32 logical partition hosts a version of Cygwin, or not; recently updated, or not.

(2) suggests that QTPartEd has somehow perturbed the underlying disk management and so the consequences from updating lilypond were "an accident waiting for an excuse to happen". And that would explain why it happened on my machine (post-QTPartEd) and is not reproducible on your XP machine, because yours hasn't undergone the necessary preparatory stage?

3. Whatever the disk management history, and whether or not Cygwin triggered the problem, simply being able to generate the output

ls -al /m
total 16
drwxr-xr-x  14 fergus ver_1.5    0 Jan  1  1970 ./
drwxr-xr-x  14 fergus ver_1.5    0 Jan  1  1970 ./
drwxr-xr-x  15 fergus ver_1.5    0 Jan  1  1970 ../
<etc etc>

show that something is VERY WRONG INDEED. I guess I need to rebuild my entire machine and, if I want logical partition within an extended partition, maybe I should create them using some other editor than QTPartEd (even Windows itself, crumbs what an idea).

Many thanks for giving this time and thought, and sorry for the distraction.

Fergus