Re: How to properly set up /etc/passwd and /etc/group

On 03/03/2010 00:34, Wes Barris wrote:

> My W: drive is a mapped network drive.  However, it is mapped to a
> share coming from the same physical computer.  This drive contains
> all of my data including a folder that I wish to use as my home
> directory (W: is mapped to //mycomputer/share/home).

  Just to check the obvious: is it mapped with the default (i.e., read-only!)
permissions, or did you open it up?

> The contents of this drive was copied from my previous computer
> on which I used the same username.

  Argh.  Ouch.  That's probably part of the problem.  Using the same username
on a different computer does *not* give your user account the same identity,
when we're talking about local machine accounts rather than domain/workgroup
accounts.

  How *exactly* did you copy "the contents of this drive" across?

    cheers,
      DaveK