Re: How to delete a file without owner and group?

On 3/2/2010 8:22 PM, Dave Korn wrote:

Cygwin can't override the permissions enforced by the OS. It attempts to /use/ those permissions to model the posix user/group/world model, but if a file was created outside cygwin (i.e. in windows itself) there's no guarantee the permissions set on it will make sense in the posix world.

Then I've been lucky so far. After transferring large directory trees over a network using Windows file sharing I frequently end up with a few files that I can't figure out how to delete under Windows, for some reason I can't fathom. The following, in a Cygwin script, fixes the problem:

find . -name '*' -print -exec chmod 777 {} \;

I routinely run Windows with administrative privileges.

I'm just a dumb engineer, not a programmer, and my simple viewpoint is that Cygwin is making my Windows box look like a sensible Unix system.