Re: Strange symlink behaviour

On Mar  4 06:41, Alfred von Campe wrote:
> >Real symlinks on a remote CIFS system are not recognized by Cygwin or
> >Windows either.  Rather, they are converted to real files by the
> >underlying CIFS server so that "dumb" Windows clients don't get
> >confused.
>
> Ah, that makes sense and explains some behavior I was seeing.
>
> >Symlinks created with and for Cygwin are not real symlinks (with an
> >exception).  They are files with special properties so that they are
> >recognized as symlinks by Cygwin.
>
> Does that also apply to a symlink extracted from a tar file created
> on Linux?

Yes.  And that makes sense.  Think about it.

> >Bottom line is, if you create symlinks via Cygwin, they will only be
> >recognized by Cygwin clients.  If you want symlinks which work on all
> >systems (NFS->Linux, CIFS->Windows, CIFS->Cygwin), you have to create
> >the symlinks using a Linux client.
>
> That's what I was afraid of.  My real issue is that this all works
> when I extract the tar ball into an empty directory, but it doesn't
> when the symlink already exists and a short cut is created instead.
> If the "rm //path/to/share/*" would simply delete the symlink I
> would not be having this problem.  Wait, a thought just occurred to
> me.  What if I delete the symlink first instead of deleting "*".
> I'll try this when I get to work today and report back with the
> results.

What you can do is to switch 1.5 to "CYGWIN=nowinsymlinks", the default
in 1.7.  This creates files which have no .lnk suffix, but the SYSTEM
DOS bit set.  This has two other problems, though.

- The CIFS filesystems will have to support DOS attributes.
- The symlink is still no real symlink since that's not supported
  in CIFS for Windows clients.  It's just some file which is only
  recognized as symlink by Cygwin.

Corinna

Red Hat