Re: either nothing or cygheap base mismatch error

On 3/5/2010 5:18 PM, Eugen Zalinescu wrote:
My problem is that I cannot start cygwin (with Cygwin.bat). Actually
any cygwin application finishes as soon as I invoke it (or in about
1sec), with no output, as in
  D:\cygwin\bin>  bash

D:\cygwin\bin>

However, sometimes (I cannot reproduce the behavior), I obtain a
"cygheap base mismatch detected" error.

I attach a cygcheck.out file and the setup.log for a "fresh"
installation (I didn't uninstall my previous installation, which was
working fine some time ago, but just put it elsewhere; it is said that
this should be OK in 1.7.1. Anyhow, I have same behavior with both the
new and old installation).

There do not seem to be other versions of cygwin1.dll in the system,
and I obtain the same behavior after deactivating the anti-virus; and
I don't have any other program from the BLODA neither.

Any hints are welcomed.

Make sure you stopped all the previously running Cygwin services before installing. From what I see in the setup log, the postinstall scripts didn't run, so nothing is configured properly. Try re-running setup.exe after rebooting and stopping any Cygwin services.

I took a look at the running services and it does seem to be any Cygwin service running (and anyhow, I don't remember starting one). Anyway, I did reboot, and then re-ran setup.exe, but it got stuck running the postinstall/passwd-grp.sh script. I attach setup.log.postinstallXa03940 which contains some errors that seem related to this.

The log says that you probably have incompatible versions of cygwin1.dll. The cygcheck output in your earlier post also gave a warning about multiple cygwin1.dlls in your path. Did you search for these?

I see that you have the native windows version of texlive installed. That might be where the extra cygwin1.dll is coming from (if you have the asymptote package installed).

Ken