Re: Cygwin doesn't install gcc even though I select it

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

> On 3/25/2010 1:25 PM, steenreem wrote:
>>
>> When using "setup.exe" to install cygwin, I select "gcc: C compile
>> upgrade
>> helper" from the category devel in the package menu. However, when I then
>> check in my cygwin bin folder there is no "gcc", although there is
>> "gcc-3.exe". I cannot use the gcc command in cygwin "bash: gcc command
>> not
>> found". When I launch setup.exe again then the "gcc: C compile upgrade
>> helper" box is unchecked, even though I checked it before. I have tried
>> check and install it repeatedly but to no avail.
>>
>> Who knows what's going on here?
>
> Did you read the release announcement?
>
> <http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-announce/2009-12/msg00014.html>

No I didn't, until now. I do not have these files:
"     /usr/bin/set-gcc-default-3.sh
    /usr/bin/set-gcc-default-4.sh
"
that are mentioned in the announcement. The /etc/alternatives folder only
contains a readme file. The readme points to "man alternatives" and
/usr/sbin/alternative.exe --help but that does not display anything. There
is no gcc file present in /bin. No symbolic link or .exe.

So do I have to create a symbolic link named "gcc" in my /bin folder that
directs to "gcc-4.exe" ?
I know very little about unix. I'm a windows only user.