Re: UTF8 and cvs issues in 1.7.2

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:30:28 +0100 Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Mar 26 00:24, lemkemch wrote:
> Erik Blake wrote:
> >On 03/25/2010 05:05 PM, lemkemch wrote:
> >> orion> cvs -qn up -l
> >> U Ãppel.txt
> >> cvs update: warning: `Ãppel.txt' is not (any longer) pertinent
> >> ... I am not talking about the
> >> displayed characters here but that cvs wants to update a file.
> >I wonder if the problem is that CVS/Entries was created under one
> >charset, but you are now using a different charset. I suppose you could
> >use iconv to convert the file to the correct encoding. Or it may be a
> >sign that cvs has not yet been recompiled to be charset-aware.
>> Yes, that sort of it is. Further experiments show this:
>> CVS/Entries written by 1.5:
>> /Ãppel.txt/1.1/Thu Mar 25 22:14:59 2010//
>> With 1.7 it changes to (module character corruption through e mail):
>> /ÃÂppel.txt/1.1/Thu Mar 25 22:14:59 2010//
>> The positive is that the cvs update doesn't actually change
> the file on disk. All that happens is changing CVS/Entries.
> Still annoying.
>> The fix I found is
>> setenv LANG C.ISO-8859-1
>> But somehow that doesn't smell right.
I explained that a lot in this list and in the User's Guide. The
problem is that Windows uses UTF-16 under the hood. So there's no
filename based operation without the requirement to convert from a
multibyte to the widechar charset.

Too bad but I see why that is and that there is no way around it.

What you can do is either to
use ISO-8859-1 sort of like above, or you convert the file content
to UTF-8 so you can use UTF-8 from now on.

The only problem is this file is none of my business. It's CVS's file. What does cvs on linux do in this case?

I'm really sorry that
this is necessary, but it's really not my fault.

I know. But anyway, seems to be the way it is.

Michael