Re: troubles with sshd and Microsoft devenv's .rsp files

On 3/26/2010 6:53 PM, Alec Kloss wrote:
I'm using a fresh installation of cygwin 1.7.2 on a fresh install
of Windows Server 2003.

I'm having an issue where the temporary .rsp files created by
devenv.exe are created without read permission.  This causes the
tool devenv is about to start (like cl.exe) to be unable to read
the .rsp file.  Running ls -l in a loop on the build directory I
can catch the files while they exist with no permissions; ---------
shows in ls.

This bad behavior only appears to occur when running devenv.exe
from inside an ssh session.  If I'm using a cygwin shell on the
desktop things behave correctly (and .rsp files show up mode 700).
If I ssh into the same machine and run the same command, the .rsp
files show up mode 000 and cl.exe (which is spawned by devenv.exe)
can't read them.

Sounds like the same old problem that kept VS from running correctly in a ssh session. I don't recall allot of the details but at least some of the problem was caused by VS thinking it was running as the service provider instead of your user. If that's the problem here, you should try using password authentication or look at one of the latter two options detailed here:

<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-setuid-overview>

You can check the email archives for more details on VS misbehaving
under ssh.

Holliston, MA 01746