Re: "svn --version" halts in 1.7.2-2

On 3/27/2010 7:47 AM, Charles Wilson wrote:
> On 3/27/2010 12:10 AM, Eliot Moss wrote:
>> On 3/26/2010 11:20 PM, David Rothenberger wrote:
>>> I think the .la files are causing the problems. I believe they come from
>>> libsasl2-devel. You said you removed that package, but maybe something
>>> went wrong.
>>
>> Perhaps ... so I changed the directory name back to sasl2, but
>> added .disabled at the end of the .la files' names, and now
>> svn -- version continues to work correctly.
>
> Well, this sounds like something in the svn stack is using libltdl's
> portable dynamic loading facilities (e.g. libtool's replacement/wrapper
> for dlopen()).
>
> Obviously, something is going wrong there.  What happens when the .la
> file isn't found, is that libltdl falls back on cygwin's dlopen(), which
> simply looks in the normal search path for the DLL -- and that
> apparently works.

I'm pretty sure it's libsasl2 that's the culprit, but since its DLLs are
in /usr/lib/sasl2, which is not in the PATH, I don't see how that could
work.

> I suspect the best solution here is to find out what component
> is actually opening the .la file (e.g. is compiled against a static
> libltdl) and recompile it against a newer version of that library.
> Preferably against the "official" shared DLL version cygltdl-N.dll
> (which should happen automatically if you libtoolize --force before
> rebuiling).

I might take a look at libsasl2 and see if recompiling it helps.
Unfortunately, it's orphaned and I know absolutely nothing about SASL,
so I'm loathe to adopt it.

Worse comes to worse, I'll just disable SASL support in SVN.

It's interesting, though, that this behavior just surfaced. This didn't
occur with Cygwin 1.7.1 as far as I remember, and I'm sure I had
libsasl2-devel installed at that point. There must have been some change
in cygwin1.dll that has caused this.

Revolution, n.:
        In politics, an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.
                -- Ambrose Bierce