Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: cygwin-1.7.3-1

On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 05:42:05PM +1000, Rurik Christiansen wrote:
>On 5/04/2010 7:28 AM, jurriaan@rivierenland.xs4all.nl wrote:
>>
>>> ==========================================================================
>>> NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE
>>>
>>> Cygwin 1.7.1 or earlier users of LSA authentication using the cyglsa.dll
>>> or cyglsa64.dll files *must* replace the old cyglsa DLL with the new one
>>> from this package, otherwise LSA authentication will fail with the new
>>> 1.7.3 Cygwin DLL.
>>>
>> Forgive me for being dense, but my normal update process consists of
>> downloading the latest setup.exe then let it select any updates of
>> packages I've got installed.
>
>I suspect I am the second one being dense :)
>
>I am fairly new at this. I've installed 1.7.1 but:
>
>* How do I know what the current release is ? (e.g. is there something
>like /etc/redhat-release or whatever ? The docs mention /var/log/setup
>... but is not clear at all)

It isn't clear what you're asking either.  What docs are you referring
to which suggest that looking at /var/log/setup is the way to find
the current release?

In any case, you're responding to a message which announces a new
release so that would be one way to find out what the newest release
might be - read the cygwin-announce mailing list.  Otherwise, as Dave
Korn suggests, you can *read the website*.

If you want to know what version of cygwin you have on your system you can type:

1) "uname -a".

or

2) "cygcheck -c cygwin"

or

3) "cygcheck -rsv" (to see comprehensive information on your installation).

>* What is the proper upgrade procedure ?

Again, the "proper upgrade procedure" is what is mentioned on the Cygwin
web site.  Run "setup.exe".  It handles everything.

I wouldn't suggest doing anything other than selecting a mirror site and
selecting packages.  If you play with the other options without knowing
what you're doing you will probably end up making extra work for yourself.

cgf