Re: man pages showing special characters

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 11:57:02AM -0600, Durwin De La Rue wrote:
> First, I am using latest version of cygwin.  I normally use rxvt.  But
> after having this issue with it, and finding information that mintty
> does not have the issue, I started using mintty.  My first attempt to
> fix the issue in rxvt was successful (export LANG=C).  However, at some
> point it failed.  LANG is the same, but I again was getting special
> characters where a hyphen (and quotes and other punctuation)  is suppose
> to be.

I had this issue starting on the day that I upgraded from cygwin 1.5
to cygwin 1.7.

I use a pager called "most" that is not part of the cygwin
distribution. I recompiled "most" from latest tarballs using cygwin
toolchain (make, gcc, and so forth). This fixed the problem for me.