Re: perl6 fails

2010/4/26 David Vergin:
> on 4/25/2010 2:09 PM Reini Urban said the following:
>> yes, parrot is broken,...
>> Easy fix:
>> Add this file /usr/lib/parrot/2.3.0/include/stat.pasm
>
> Progress. I fired off setup.exe and let it update things.
>
> I can confirm that the described file is now included in the new version of
> the Parrot package as announced on this list an hour after your reply quoted
> above. Thanks for your attention to this.
>
> However, sadly I now have a new error...
>
> $ /usr/bin/perl6 -V
> Null PMC access in find_method('get_parrotclass')
> current instr.: 'perl6;ClassHOW;onload' pc -1 ((unknown file):-1)
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Interesting wrong usage. I get the correct backtrace:
$ perl6 -V
Unable to open filehandle from path '-V'
current instr.: 'perl6;PCT;HLLCompiler;evalfiles' pc 1318
(compilers/pct/src/PCT/HLLCompiler.pir:714)
called from Sub 'perl6;PCT;HLLCompiler;command_line' pc 1504
(compilers/pct/src/PCT/HLLCompiler.pir:801)
called from Sub 'perl6;Perl6;Compiler;main' pc -1 ((unknown file):-1)

> Let me know if I can help with further investigations or feedback at this
> end. (I'm guessing you may have some files in your setup that are not making
> it into the distribution.)

I've installed parrot-devel also, that's the solution and the ad-hoc workaround.

parrot upstream moved some files from parrot-devel to the main parrot package
in their MANIFEST rules, which I do not automatically parse (yet).
So the error is strictly on my side, not upstream.

But there's also no testing done for installed-only versions. We just
get feedback from users like you.
--
Reini Urban