1.7: svn/bash can't find $EDITOR after 1.7 upgrade

Svn was working ok just before I upgraded to 1.7, e.g. 'svn status' showed paths in unix form (forward slashes), and on commit vi opened ok.
Now svn status shows paths with backslashes:

M?????? test\xls\qa1\ZonePos.xls

And on commit:

-bash-3.2$ svn commit file.txt
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: system('/usr/bin/vi svn-commit.tmp') returned 1

This is after 'export EDITOR=/usr/bin/vi' (it was vim before, same error but no vim per se w/ 1.7).

Svn used to have problems like this with the first version of cygwin I installed, but after an update it all started working. 1.7 seems to have reverted that improvement.

-bash-3.2$ svn --version
svn, version 1.6.2 (r37639)
?? compiled May? 8 2009, 19:24:44
-bash-3.2$ bash --version
GNU bash, version 3.2.49(23)-release (i686-pc-cygwin)

I reinstalled svn and bash, no change. Same result with dash.

This is on a putty login to localhost (convenient for select=copy behavior).

Thanks for any help!

Bill