Re: How to uninstall Cygwin/X (only)

On 5/1/2010 2:56 AM, Andrey Repin wrote:
Greetings, Dave Korn!

But the thing is, I'm not sure that just adding a drop-down is a useful
thing to do.

Well, I am.  The problem described by the title of the this thread is that
you can't uninstall a bunch of stuff easily, because as you click your way
through the spinner you hit various versions on the way to "uninstall"
that cause dependencies to be selected.  If you can go directly to
"uninstall" without cycling through all the intermediate settings, the
problem is trivially solved.

I'm a bit late to the discussion... My problem is exactly as of the OP, I can't uninstall X components, they keep eachother enabled.

Yep, I think it's clear from all the previous discussion that this is a problem.

I just have to ask, why don't take already researched and well-working
deb/rpm approach? Could as well steal code from SynAptic (f.e.) for the most
part.

Probably not surprisingly (right?), this was an option that was discussed back even before there was a 'setup.exe'. And it comes up over and over again in discussions about 'setup.exe' and its functionality. If you want the details, I suggest you review the email archives for them. Suffice it to say, all these existing tools referenced are Linux/Unix-based. The port to Windows would be significant and the short-cut would be to use Cygwin. Chicken, meet egg. But in the end the biggest problem is not a shortage of ideas, alternatives, or talking points but rather resource to do it. Just about any possible option you can think of (and probably some you wouldn't think of) could be made to work. But there's very little resource available to do much more than inch 'setup.exe' along. Dave and some others have made great strides in this direction (and perhaps more than just inching here and there too :-) ). But we have to acknowledge the reality of the situation - there are very few new ideas out there for what to do with 'setup.exe', lots of willingness to talk about them, and not much drive to coalesce a team spearhead new 'setup.exe' development. Dave and others do great work but they aren't only 'setup.exe' maintainers so there's lots of other pulls on their time.

But at least right-click would be nice to have, with a short textual
explanation telling user to "Right-click a node to choose action on a
package/group".

I'm sure Dave appreciates your approval for this. ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746