Re: "Error opening terminal: cygwin." when attempting to start lynx

On 5/1/2010 3:23 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
Greetings, Ken Brown!

I'm receiving this error message when trying to start
lynx browser:

[C:\]$lynx
Error opening terminal: cygwin.

Hello,

What does `echo $TERM' tells you? (I'm guessing TERM=cygwin)
Does `export TERM=xterm' solve the problem?
Note that it works for me whatever TERM is: cygwin, xterm, screen...
I can only force to fail if I set TERM to nonsense `TERM=sjdfjsfjsf'

(What I don't know is why TERM=cygwin fails for you)

At this point we normally ask for someone to read:

http://cygwin.com/problems.html

and provide the type of information suggested there.

Though it's apparent that I've just launched lynx as normal application, as I've always did in the past. TERM show nothing, this variable is undefined in common Windows environment.

May I ask you what cygcheck mean when listing Far FTP plugin host definitions?
I've left it included, as it contains no private data, but it shouldn't be there.

cygcheck did not list your installed packages for some reason which sounds like you may have more than one cygwin1.dll on your system.

Not possible. Same DLL in multiple places (due to different mount points) - possible, but certainly not different versions of DLL's.

[C:\]$C:\bin\which.exe -a cygwin1.dll
/usr/bin/cygwin1.dll

[C:\]$which cygwin1.dll
cygwin1.dll is an external : C:\bin\cygwin1.dll

[C:\]$mount
C:/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,auto)
C:/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,auto)
C: on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
R: on /cygdrive/r type iso9660 (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)

[C:\]$

See? 4NT and cygwin both see only one DLL.

For sure it is obvious that your PATH isn't right.
Cygwin's directories should always come first.
So maybe you aren't running a cygwin versin of lynx but are, instead, running something
which does not understand the cygwin TERM type.

The cygcheck output also shows two Cygwin installations, one contained
in the other.  That seems risky.

It's just a consequence, there's in fact just one installation.

But I've tried to move Cygwin folders earlier in Path...

[C:\]$set PATH&&  lynx
C:/bin;C:/usr/sbin;C:\WINDOWS/system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS/System32/Wbem;C:/usr/4nt;C:/usr/Delphi/vbroker/bin;C:/usr/Delphi7/Bin
;C:/usr/Delphi7/Projects/Bpl;C:/usr/sbin/svn-win32/bin;C:/PROGRA~1/WINRAR;C:/usr/ARH/7ZIP;C:/Program Files/Java/jre6/bin;C:/usr/ut
il;C:/DRWEB;C:/USR/BP/BIN;C:/d/REINST/ROOT/DOOM;C:/d/REINST/ROOT/UTIL;C:/usr/ARH;C:/USR/VP21/BIN.W32

Your path indicates that you have a lot of non-cygwin software inside your cygwin installation (under C:/usr). That seems like a bad idea to me.

Error opening terminal: cygwin.

[C:\]$

And the same when trying to start it from bash command prompt:

bash-3.2$ lynx
Error opening terminal: cygwin.
bash-3.2$

Meh... Any good idea what to delete in attempt to fix this?

As cgf said, maybe you aren't running cygwin's lynx. Did you install cygwin's lynx package? What does 'cygcheck -c lynx' show? What does 'which lynx' show?

Ken