Re: Using cygwin with a dual boot operating system

On 5/6/2010 2:26 PM, Douglas Kirk wrote:
> Hello I have a system that will boot either a 64bit or 32bit version of Vista.
> I installed cygwin in the 64bit system and it works fine, when I run
> cygwin.bat I get a dos window with the appropiate prompt and I am in my home
> directory.
> When I boot up in the 32bit Vista, and run cygwin.bat I get the following:
>
> E:\Cygwin>E:
> E:\Cygwin>chdir E:\cygwin\bin
> E:\Cygwin\bin>bash --login -i
> bash-3.2$
>
> --
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
In order to avoid playing 20 questions, you should probably follow the
problem reporting instructions indicated above.  You at least need to
send the cygcheck output for the 32-bit system which is having problems,
but it might also be a good idea to send the cygcheck output for the
functional 64-bit system as well.

Please bear in mind that what you are attempting to do is not really
supported, so don't be surprised if you don't get a bunch of help.  That
said, I can't think of any reason offhand that a default installation of
Cygwin 1.7 should fail to work this way.  However, a custom /etc/fstab
file or permissions problems could cause grief.

-Jeremy