Re: Cygwin visual brand

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 13:36, Klaus Grue <> wrote:

> In conclusion, I suggest a new term is invented such as the
>  Cygwin Package Manager (CPM)
> or something like that. Then one could simply write
>  Cygwin Package Manager under the Cygwin icon and then explain in the text that:
>  The Cygwin Package Manager (cpm.exe) can install Cygwin and manage
>  Cygwin packages. Among other, it can install, uninstall, upgrade, and
>  downgrade individual packages. It can also install and upgrade the
>  entire Cygwin system and keep the system up to date.
> By the way, it would by nice if CPM could also uninstall Cygwin. It sends the message that you are confident in your system if you make it easy for users to uninstall it. And it smells suspicious to provide software without an uninstaller.

I would tend to agree with Klaus on this point. The "setup.exe" name
is too generic. If I'm examining my downloads directory with a
non-graphical tool (let's say something like "ls" :-) ) then it is not
obvious the setup.exe file is associated ith Cygwin. I'm not a fan of
"cpm.exe" for two reasons.

1) CPM already has a history as an operating system so using that name
would have the potential for confusing the users as well as opening
the project to possible trademark/copyright infringement issues.

2) When I'm doing an "ls" of the directory containing "cpm.exe" it is
only slightly more obvious than "setup.exe" what the application is.

With modern file systems, command line completion, and GUI file
managers there is little reason to shorten the name down to its
initials. "CygwinPackageManager.exe" communicates clearly what the
program is without any further need of explanation.

Steven