Re: Cygwin 1.5.25 and 1.7.5-1: Fork problem encountered

On 5/24/2010 8:43 PM, Mizuno Mai wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mizuno Mai"<>
Subject: Cygwin 1.5.25 and 1.7.5-1: Fork problem encountered

Hi all,

I recently had to re-install my Windows 2000 Pro after my registry got
corrupted and I couldn't boot at all.

<SNIP a bunch of stuff />
Of course, I forgot to attach the cygcheck output.

The report says that GCC isn't installed (but a bunch of sub-variants are).
However, I can assure you that GCC was installed.

Looks like the alternatives script didn't run then, probably the postinstall for gcc itself. That's fixable. Just rerun /etc/postinstall/gcc.sh.done.

So now you're running 1.5.25.  Sorry, that's no longer supported...
;-)  I know, you said you had the same problem with 1.7.5.  So we'll cut
you a little slack. :-)

Thanks for looking around for some answers.  You found one of the common
solutions to this problem.  Two others are:

  1. <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#BLODA>
  2. Another cygwin1.dll on your system.

It's also possible that rebaseall won't catch everything you need if you
have 3rd party packages installed too (I'm thinking of things like Perl
modules from other places or built yourself, Cygwin Ports, etc.).  If
that's the case, you need to make a new list of DLLs that have all the
ones that rebaseall picks up plus the others belonging to the extra
packages.

I'll just throw in the obligatory reminder that this list supports the
current version of the packages so it's worth considering a move back
to Cygwin 1.7.5, especially since the drop back to 1.5.25 wasn't the
magic bullet for you.  But you can wait for your eyes to refocus, hands
to ungoogle, and your ends to unsplit of course. ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746