Re: Cygwin Performance and stat()

On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 10:33:47AM -0700, Christopher Wingert wrote:
>Eric Blake wrote:
>> [quit top-posting]
>
>Now you are my mom too?

"too?"  I don't recall any other responses from Eric to you.

>> That's where you're wrong.  Any patch you write that is technically
>> sound and shows a measurable improvement will most likely be accepted.
>
>Then you shouldn't have Cygwin's front line technical spokesman saying
>things such as:
>
>"If there was a way to make stat() faster why wouldn't it be in the
>source code already?"

As I've already explained, this was in response to your asking for an
existing patch.

>"Otherwise, I doubt that anyone outside of the cygwin developers
>understands the stat() code well enough to come up with a patch."

So far that statement still stands but I'll be very pleased to be
proven wrong.

>"But providing a variant of stat() along the lines of what you propose
>above is not practical for all the reasons already stated."

This is not someting that I said.  That was actually Larry Hall.

>"I guess it's possible that someone just doesn't want to go through the
>pain of getting the patch accepted.  In that case, everyone enjoy your
>private cygwin stat() patches."

And this was theorizing that there was a patch which was being privately
disseminated.  It does not in any way speak to a patch being accepted.

As long as you're quoting my email you apparently missed or chose to
ignore this one:

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 05:39:35PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>Otherwise, OF COURSE we'll take improvements to Cygwin if someone
>provides them.  That's how free software is supposed to work.

That was actually a little positive, though.  I shouldn't have said
"take"; I should have said "consider".

cgf