Re: Coping with large iso files for network-independent Cygwin installation

On Jul  7 08:03, Fergus wrote:
> I made separate iso files (setup*exe + setup*ini + release*/) for the
> Legacy version [1.5] and current version [1.7]. At 4335495168 and
> 5039841280 respectively they are both too large to reside on a FAT32
> file system, and the larger one can't be burned to an installation DVD.
>
> I put both on a 16G NTFS stick along with ancient portable freeware
> VirtualCDRom (which does what it says but allows arbitrarily?? high
> capacity disks) and then install directly to a host machine. Easy and
> convenient. (Of course, for local installations I guess one could omit
> *src*bz2 thus drastically reducing both sizes to be DVD-resident.)
>
> Then I realised: all the files setup*exe + setup*ini + release*/ fit on
> the stick anyway: creating *.iso and using VirtualCDRom are redundant
> steps.
>
> Nevertheless, it is a tantalising problem: what's the best answer to
> give to a 3rd party who wants to install [1.7] on a machine without
> network access?

Rsync the content of a mirror of your choice onto a stick.  Copy
setup.exe and setup-legacy.exe to the stick.  On the target machine,
start one of setup or setup-legacy, choose "Install from Local
Directory", enter the path to the stick, for instance "X:\", as the
Locale Package Directory.  Install.  Done.

Corinna

Red Hat