Re: Cygwin extremely slow after updating from 1.5.1 to 1.7.5

Am 12.07.2010 03:00, schrieb Jet Thompson:
> It is now taking over 30 seconds for bash to come up,
> whereas in 1.5 it would take 1-2 seconds.
>
> Doing an ls of my ~ directory takes 5 seconds.
>
> Running a cucumber test takes 5-6 minutes.
>
> Any idea what could be causing this?

Virus, Spyware and similar scanners, and broken software.

> At this point, I can not use Cygwin for development.
> Not feasible to use such a slow environment.
>
> Hope someone may have some good ideas.
> I am using an older XP machine, but still it is
> dual 2.8 Xeon processors, 800MHz bus, 7200rpm
> sata hard drive with 8MB cache. It is painful
> to see such dismal performance.

ls isn't representative, as it uses stat() which is painfully slow on Cygwin.

If bash is slow to start, see if uninstalling bash-completion fixes it.
For me it helped quite a bit.

--
Matthias Andree