Re: How to pass parameters to a windows application

Andy Koppe <andy.koppe@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2 August 2010 07:49, Dave Hylands wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Jason Pyeron wrote:
>>> I am at my wits end trying to figure out how to execute this in bash
>>>
>>> C:\WINDOWS>cmd /c "start "" "C:\Documents and Settings\All
>>> Users\Desktop\projects\crisfield\trunk\etc""
>>
>> Based on your prompt, I'd say that you're not in bash.
>>
>> cmd /c start "c:\Documents and Settings\"
>>
>> works for me. From the cmd prompt,
>>
>> cmd /c "start "c:\Documents and Settings""
>>
>> works. I wrote a little program called open,
>> http://www.davehylands.com/Software/Open/
>>
>> which opens files the same way as double clicking on them. It also
>> translates cygwin paths into Win32 paths if you build the cygwin
>> version.
>> If passed a directory name, it does the same as choosing "Explore".
>
> You should both have a look at 'cygstart'.

Good that I'm typing so slow.

I was about to explain a procedure of mine which almost does what Jason
Pyeron wants, approximately working in almost every case, containing
lots of quote-escaping tricks (and starting with "`cygpath -u $COMSPEC`"
instead of the plain cmd, just in case)...  and making a total fool of
myself, given that cygstart does it all in one sweep.

Thanks for the nudge, Andy!
--
Cheers,
haj