RE: incompatible environment variable names

Nellis, Kenneth:
> I came across an interesting (IMHO) incompatibility between Windows and bash environment variable names.

You can create odd environment names on Unixish systems too, but nobody relies on them.

I've had the same issue; a build environment I use required the presence of variable names with '(' and ')' in them. For the moment, I've hacked around the issue by calling cmd.exe to do the work before launching the build system proper, but eventually, in my Copious Free Time(TM), my plan is to patch bash and add raw-getenv and raw-setenv builtins that do the obvious thing.