Accessing SMB shares without explicit mounting

In order to cut down on the overall time my backups are taking, I am thinking of running flexbackup under cygwin. However, I will want it to write to a directory I have shared from my Linux box using samba, without mounting it explicitly.

I understand that this at least ought to be possible using a UNC path (//server/share) but all attempts to list the current content are showing it to be empty. If I try to access a file I know to be there, or to create a new one, I get "Permission denied". I can clearly see that the shares are there, but cannot make any practical use of them.

I am therefore left in the position of having to seek advice on this. The permissions do allow the shares to be mounted in Windows, but in the case of this particular one, I am looking for it not to be mounted.

I am quite happy to post further details if needed.

Thanks,

Phil Reynolds.