Re: mkpasswd (434): [31] A device attached to the system is not functioning.

On 8/7/2010 4:46 PM, Linda Walsh wrote:
I'm willing to try again if anything has improved.  But there were also
issues about me signing off contracts to Redhat or something -- not
something normal to most open source projects...and that was a bit of a
put off as well.  Has anything changed?

I believe you are confused. There are no "contracts" involved to build Cygwin. You would be asked to fill out an assignment form if you're contributing anything of significant amount back (with what constitutes significant being defined by Red Hat). I won't speculate about the particular conversation you refer to and how this came up or to what it was referring specifically. But if you're just looking for instructions on building Cygwin, they're in the FAQ:

<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.programming.building-cygwin>

I'll let you be the judge of whether anything there has changed from the
last time you tried to build the DLL.  It is, however, worth noting that
building the DLL is *not* necessary to build mkpasswd.  Certainly it's
easiest if you just grab the source for everything from CVS but if you're
just looking to be able to debug your mkpasswd issue, I'd recommend foregoing
any efforts, at least at the moment, to build the Cygwin DLL.  You won't need
to do that to investigate the problem with which you started this thread.

Holliston, MA 01746