Re: Postinstall for mintty fails when installing "just for me"

On Aug 17 06:52, Andy Koppe wrote:
> On 17 August 2010 02:26, Buchbinder, Barry wrote:
> > $ bash --norc --noprofile /etc/postinstall/mintty.sh
> > /bin/mkdir: cannot create directory `/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Cygwin': Permission denied
> > mkshortcut: Saving "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Cygwin\mintty.lnk" failed; does the target directory exist?
> > /bin/chmod: cannot access `/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Cygwin/mintty.lnk': No such file or directory
> > echo $?
> > 1
>
> Hmm, the test at the top of the script is meant to avoid that, by
> checking whether the 'All Users/Start Menu/Programs' folder is
> writable. Any idea why that's saying yes when apparently it isn't
> writable?

I tried your script and it works fine for me.  If I'm running as
admin in a UAC-restricted shell, the test fails as expected.

The problem is, we don't know anything about your environment, Barry.
cygcheck output as requested by http://cygwin.com/problems.html
would be helpful, perhaps.  As is getfacl/cacls output for the
"/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs" directory.

> Is there a proper way for a postinstall script to find out whether
> it's an install for all users or "Just Me"?

Hmm, afaik no.

You could try to write to All Users first and if that fails, write to
the user's own Programs.  Or, you could combine this with a call to `id
-G' and test if the group 544 is in the users supplementary group list.

But, maybe we should define a couple of useful, installation-specific
arguments for postinstall scripts and change setup accordingly?

Corinna

Red Hat