Re: Existence check fails on Cygwin Perl

On Aug 17 10:54, Lemke, Michael  SZ/HZA-ZSB2 wrote:
> On 17 Aug 2010 10:20:41 +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >On Aug 16 18:13, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> >> $ cat test.pl'
> >> use warnings;
> >> use strict;
> >>
> >> # Obviously non-existant server and file
> >> my $file = "\\\\server\\path\\file";
> >>
> >> # Check for existance returns true for Cygwin - false for ActiveState
> >> if (-e $file) {
> >>   print "true\n"
> >> } else {
> >>   print "false\n"
> >> }
> >> $ perl test.pl
> >> true
> >> $ cqperl test.pl
> >> false
> >> $
> >
> >I can not reproduce your problem.  I used "\\\\server\\path\\file"
> >unchanged, as well as valid server and share names and just a
> >non-existant file name.  In both cases the script prints "false".
> >And it prints "true" for an existing file, just as expected.
>
> Hm, I can reproduce it and it's even simpler, no perl involved:
>
> pc> [ -e //server/junk ] && date
> Tue Aug 17 10:28:14 WEDT 2010
> pc> ls -ls //server/junk
> 0 -rw-r--r-- 1 lemkemch Domain Users 0 Dec  1  2006 //server/junk
>
> Here's no server called server.

I can't reproduce, but I'm already running Cygwin 1.7.6.  I have a vague
memory that we already had a report along these lines and that I patched
this at one point...  I *think* that's what is successfully hidden
behind the "Fix erroneous handling of devices in path checking." message
in the announcement...

Corinna

Red Hat