Re: X-forwarding very very slow

On 8/18/10 8:43 AM, Alberto Canestrelli wrote:
> I have a problem with Cygwin. I am connecting from USA by ssh to the
> Hector supermachine in Edinburgh ( I write "startx" in Cygwin and then I
> use  "ssh -Y  v1acanes@login.hector.ac.uk" ). Everything works fine, the
> only problem is that the forwarding of the windows is very very slow. It
> takes sometimes also up to 5 minutes to open a new window. I am
> debugging a code with Totalview and it is a impossible to work. I am in
> contact with the Hector support and with their computer they tried to
> run Cygwin under windows and connecting by ssh (exactly like I am doing)
> and they say that x-forwarding  is fast.

The performance they're seeing probably has little to do with their
Cygwin version --- they're a lot closer, after all, so support's latency
is probably a lot lower.

NX actually works under Cygwin, though it's a pain to compile (and
unsupported I imagine). This document provides an introduction to
getting the system to work:

http://www.nomachine.com/documentation/building-components.php