Re: "run" changes behavior with cygwin-17.6

On Aug 18 22:17, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Aug 18 15:51, Charles Wilson wrote:
> > On 8/18/2010 3:41 PM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >
> > >Chuck, btw., the function setup_win_environ() in run.c can easily be
> > >replaced with `cygwin_internal (CW_SYNC_WINENV);'
> >
> > Yes, I was just looking at that. I think setup_win_environ (or its
> > guts before some early refactoring) pre-dated CW_SYNC_WINENV.
> >
> > Before removing it, I'll have to verify some things -- like whether
> > that-cygwin-fork-we-don't-mention has CW_SYNC_WINENV, and how hard
> > it would be to add if not -- since I want run to work "over there"
> > too.
>
> CW_SYNC_WINENV is available since May 2006.  That's Cygwin 1.5.20-1.
>
> > With respect to the orginal discussion that spawned this thread, I'm
> > going to hold off on any changes to run/run2/cygutils until a
> > consensus is reached regarding:
> >   1) what's going to happen "inside" cygwin wrt win32 cwd;
>
> I'm not sure yet.  Maybe we should really go cgf's idea to stick
> to the Win32 CWD, as long as chdir isn't called the first time.
>
> >   2) what new APIs are provided
>
> In PM we agreed on my suggestion.  I just have to test and document
> it first...
>
> >   3) and a project on how soon an official 1.7.7 will be released with
> >      those changes
>
> I think 1.7.7 will be released rather very soon.  Maybe this weekend.

I applied the patch which adds the CW_SYNC_WINCWD code and I updated
the documentation accordingly.

I uploaded the rewritten chapter about using the Win32 file API here:

  http://cygwin.de/cygwin-ug-177/using.html#pathnames-win32-api

Please have a look.

As for the documentation about CW_SYNC_WINENV, it's already in the
"official" docs at

  http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-env.html#setup-env-win32

HTH,
Corinna