Re: 1.7.5: Occasional failure of CreatePipe or signal handing due to thread-unsafe code in cwdstuff::set

On 3 September 2010 08:37, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> I still don't like the final workaround, which is, to set the Win32 CWD
> to the Cygwin CWD. ÂIt would be nice if we could revert that change to
> the pre-1.7.6 behaviour in a Vista-friendly way. ÂIf you ever find out
> how to make sure that the new handle in the PEB's user parameter block
> is used even on Vista and later, pray tell me.

I haven't got the magic bullet of course, but since we do have a way
to make Win32-using programs work with just a relink, how about this
transition scheme:

- Add the previously suggested CYGWIN option for syncing the Win32
working directory, with two settings: on and off. Default to on for
the moment. That would allow people like Daniel Colascione to switch
it off if they don't care about the resulting failures in cygutils and
elsewhere.
- Implement the -lsynccwd scheme.
- Notify maintainers about the rebuild that's necessary if their
packages use Win32 APIs. Rebuild cygutils, git, and tcltk as soon as
possible.
- In a few months, switch the default to not sync, and hence allow
working directories to be deleted., and which point. Affected programs
that haven't been rebuilt could still be made to work by switching the
option back on.

Andy