Re: likely stupid question but name conflicts with foo and foo.exe?

On 9/8/2010 7:32 AM, mike marchywka wrote:
On 9/8/10, Corinna Vinschen<> wrote:
On Sep 7 09:00, mike marchywka wrote:
Hi,
I'm trying to copy of bunch of files from debian over to windoze using scp
-r.
This was working fine except for one error where it complains foo is
not a directory
and apparently I have foo and foo.exe in one dir but foo is a directory.

This is by design. foo.exe is recognized as foo to allow to start apps without the dreaded suffix. Since Cygwin 1.7.0, foo and foo.exe are treated as identical. You can't have a dir "foo" and a file "foo" in the same directory, and that extends to "foo", "foo.exe", and "foo.lnk", the latter only if it's a Cygwin symlink of the shortcut type.

Well, I think my original problem was foo.exe and a directory foo both in same dir. I guess there could be issues with case too - foo and Foo. But, you did make a conscious design decision to treat exe special?

Yep. If foo != foo.exe then users have to type foo.exe to run foo, which is contrary to the conventions of Unix/Linux. Worse, all scripts that reference foo won't run because only foo.exe exists on Windows (for historical reasons).

This wouldn't be an absurd naming convention in real life however, app the
dir and app.exe that uses it.

As long as they aren't in the same directory, then that's fine.

Holliston, MA 01746